During this time of profound change in the Arab World, we thought we’d take a look at some of the most – how shall we say – bold, megalomaniacal, delusionary quotes from Arab leaders who have met untimely ends – or whose ends are imminent.
Let us know your favorite in the comments below.
- “With our souls, with our blood, we sacrifice ourselves for you, Mubarak!” Hosni Mubarak
- “There is no state with a democracy except Libya on the whole planet.” Moammar Gadhafi
- “A woman has the right to run for an election whether she’s male or female!” Moammar Gadhafi
- “Knowledge is a natural right of every human being of which no one has the right to deprive him or her under any pretext, except in a case where a person does something which deprives him or her of that right.” Moammar Gadhafi
- “While it is democratically not permissible for an individual to own any information or publishing medium, all individuals have a natural right to self-expression by any means, even if such means were insane and meant to prove a person’s insanity.” Moammar Gadhafi
- “We will stay loyal to you, just as you have been loyal to constitutional legitimacy.” Ali Abdullah Saleh
- “Ruling Yemen is difficult. I always say it is like dancing with snakes.” Ali Abdullah Saleh
- “Furthermore, Yemen is a leading pioneer in democratic practice, lots of brothers and friends testified on that.” Ali Abdullah Saleh
- “They want to criticize you, let them criticize and do not worry. Just be transparent with your people and tell them this is the reality. What you do today could be bad now but very good next year.” Bashar al-Assad
- “Politics is when you say you are going to do one thing while intending to do another. Then you do neither what you said nor what you intended.” Saddam Hussein
Occasionally, the team at Middle East Voices takes time out from its reporting to curate and author some humorous political satire found on the web. Enjoy and feel free to send us your own ideas.